OUR SUMMER 2024 AVAILABILITY
Having had a busy summer in 2023, we are now looking forward to the summer of 2024 and are delighted by the wonderful country houses now available to book in advance for exclusive hire. As the days are now getting shorter and thoughts of lighting fires and welcoming in the Autumn are here, there is no better time to start planning for the return of balmy summer days and long evenings with a glass of rosé on a wisteria-covered terrace. We have handpicked some of the most beautiful manor houses and castles available to take over with family and friends for an unforgettable summer retreat. Each house comes fully staffed so you are free to relax and enjoy quality time with loved ones plus acres of gardens for children to have adventures in. Each of the following houses have availability for week long holidays or for longer periods of one or two months over Summer 2024. If you are looking for some inspiration for country houses to rent with pools, why not read our blog “Incredible houses with private pools you can rent“.
We do have many other houses that are available but are not listed here so please do email or call us for other suggestions as we would be delighted to help.
Rodel House, Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides, Scotland
Rodel House occupies an unrivalled position on the most historically significant and naturally blessed site on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Summer is the best time to stay at Rodel although each season is different and has its own wonders to be enjoyed.
- Accommodation for up to 8 adults & 2 children.
- 4 bathrooms with baths and/or showers.
- Event space in adjacent sail loft that seats 50 people.
- Private harbour for boat trips (Islands in Sound of Harris, The Shiants, Lewis East Lochs, Taransayetc.).
- Seafishing (lobsters, crabs, mackerel, pollack, cod, haddock etc.).
- Learn about local crafts such as Harris Tweed Weaving.
- Private tour of the Harris Distillery in Tarbet.
- Wonderful opportunities for photographers, bird watchers, walkers, wild swimmers, surfers and more.
- 90 minutes drive from Stornoway.
- Regular flights from Stornoway to Edinburgh/Glasgow.
The Moult, South Devon, England
The Moult is one of the finest private houses on the coast positioned on it’s own peninsula and surrounded by acres of garden.
- Accommodation for up to 24 people in 11 bedrooms with ensuite or private bathrooms.
- 1 further bedroom has access to a shared family bathroom.
- Variety of reception rooms for both entertaining or relaxing.
- Outdoor heated 22m long swimming pool.
- Great for entertaining with cinema room, games room/gym, croquet, table football, table tennis, trampoline and outdoor giant chess set.
- Lots of activities with great walks nearby, watersports, golf, clay pigeon shooting, boat trips, fishing, crabbing, lobster potting, caving or beauty treatments.
- 35 minutes drive from Totnes Train Station.
- 75 minutes drive from Exeter.
Knowlton Court, Kent, England
Situated in the Garden of England in the heart of Kent, Knowlton Court with its tree lined sweeping drive is described as a ‘timeless work of Tudor history’.
- Accommodation for 38 people in 19 luxury ensuite bedrooms.
- Formal reception rooms including the grand Dining Room, Drawing Room, Billiard Room, Boudoir and Great Hall.
- Surrounded by wonderful countryside with walks and cycling routes for all abilities.
- Additional and staff accommodation available within the Estate.
- Short drive from the coast with family beaches, water sports and wildlife.
- Heritage sites such as Dover Castle and Leeds Castle.
- Vineyards and winery tours locally.
- Ten miles from the historic city of Canterbury.
- 15 minutes’ drive from Sandwich and its three championship golf courses.
- Under one hour by train from London.
- Under two hours by car to London’s Gatwick, Stanstead and Heathrow airports.
Newton Surmaville, Somerset, England
Newton Surmaville is a stunningly refurbished Grade I listed Jacobean Manor house surrounded by majestic parkland grounds of about 62 acres.
- Accommodation for up to 20 people in 9 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms.
- 5 impressive reception rooms with generous proportions and wonderful period features including fine oak panelling, open stone fireplaces, flag stone flooring and excellent ceiling heights.
- Beautifully restored throughout to combine classic period features with modern benefits.
- Croquet, archery, kayaking, soccer, cycling, fishing, games room & gym all available on the estate.
- There is a wonderful outbuilding which offers space for events and parties.
- Beautiful gardens and historic houses to visit nearby as well as Cheddar Gorge, Wookey Hole Caves, simulated clays, falconry, plenty of watersports and also a golf club at the border of the grounds.
- Close to Dorset AONB.
- 2 hours from London Heathrow and 2 1/2 hrs from central London by train.
Coombe End Manor, Gloucestershire, England
Situated in an Area of Natural Beauty (AONB), Coombe End Manor sits at the heart of a private 2,500 acre estate. The manor is reached down a tree lined avenue and has monastic roots dating back to the 15th Century.
- Accommodation for up to 20 people in 10 bedrooms (8 ensuite).
- Six reception rooms and a medieval banqueting hall.
- Outdoor heated swimming pool, hot tub, plunge pool and spa house with two treatment rooms.
- Tennis court.
- Outdoor dining area with a barbeque and Sonos sound system.
- Activities on the estate including clay shooting, wild flower foraging, falconry and hot air ballooning.
- Highgrove Gardens, Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Bourton House Gardens and Kelmscott Manor are all nearby and interesting to visit.
- 6 miles from Cirencester.
- 1 1/4 hours drive from the historic City of Bath.
- 100 miles from London.
Kirtlington Park, Oxfordshire, England
This breathtaking palladian house is set in stunning gardens and parkland designed by Capability Brown. Plenty of activities for the summer months including tennis in the grounds, polo and beautiful gardens and grounds to explore.
- 8 bedrooms with 8 bathrooms (6 ensuite).
- Fabulous entertaining rooms including the Great Hall, drawing room, Monkey Room, dining room, library and saloon.
- Tennis court, gym, cinema/games room.
- Billiard/snooker table, table tennis, table football, badminton, croquet, skittles and garden games.
- Garden seating and woodland walks.
- Lake with fishing by arrangement.
- Kirtlington Polo Club with free viewing and lessons by arrangement.
- ½ hours drive to the city of Oxford to visit the colleges, Oxford Botanic Garden, the famous Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean Museums, as well as punting on the River Thames.
- Blenheim Palace, The Cotswolds, Stratford upon Avon and Rousham Gardens are all nearby.
- Located just five minutes from the A34 and the M40.
- 1 hours drive from West London.
Lambay Castle and Island, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Lambay Island, with its very own castle, is steeped in romantic family history, having been bought in 1904 by a newly-wed couple and remained in the family ever since. A wonderful place to enjoy in the summer with beautiful beaches, walks and plenty of exploring.
- Lambay Castle sleeps up to 10 people. Bathrooms are luxurious but shared between 2 bedrooms or more.
- Breakfast room with large oak table seating 8-10 comfortably.
- Formal dining room and drawing room.
- Further accommodation on the island is available.
- Surrounded by a 200 acre cattle and sheep farm. Part of the 660 acre island estate.
- Home to wallabies, fallow deer, seals and nesting seabirds.
- Off grid, so electricity, hot water and heating are self generated from a wind turbine and solar panels.
- 20 minutes by car from Dublin airport and then 20 minutes by speedboat to the island.
Bughtrig, Scottish Borders, Scotland
The owners’ love of art is abundantly clear with quirky sculptures and paintings all over the house and garden, all wonderfully merged with historic family portraits and furniture. The walled garden is stunning during the summer with an abundance of flowers. Active families can enjoy tennis on the court overlooking a field of polo ponies with the Cheviot Hills in the distance.
- Sleeps 14 adults in double or twin bedrooms with an extra 3 children’s bedrooms.
- Stunning drawing room and dining room.
- Smoking room, library and inner hall.
- A steaming outdoor bath on the balcony with wonderful views over the Cheviot Hills.
- Outdoor seating area with bbq.
- Tennis Court and croquet lawn.
- Beautiful walled garden.
- Many stately homes and gardens to visit including Traquair House, Thirlestane Castle, Floors Castle and Mellerstain House.
- Activities can be arranged including salmon fishing, clay pigeon shooting, cycling, local walks and picnics.
- Day trips to the City of Edinburgh.
- 1 ¼ hours drive from Edinburgh.
Crom Castle, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
This romantic 19th Century Victorian Castle is the luxurious historic private home of the Crichton family, Earls of Erne.
The castle is set in a 1900 acre estate on Upper Lough Erne, one of Northern Ireland’s most important nature conservation areas. The outstanding beauty and tranquillity of the setting with its wonderful wildlife and nature makes it a perfect holiday retreat with the Estate and grounds belonging to the National Trust. However, the family have retained the private gardens surrounding the castle for private use. Wonderful in the summer months being able to explore Lough Erne by boat, visiting tiny islands and watching the wildlife.
- Sleeps up to 21 guests in 2 state double rooms, 4 double rooms, 4 twin rooms and 1 single room all with their own private bathrooms.
- Wonderful state drawing rooms and dining room.
- Magnificent Grand Hall.
- Victorian conservatory ideal for summer breakfasts and summer dining.
- Hard tennis court.
- Boating activities on Lough Erne by separate arrangement.
- Private family gardens.
- 2 hours from Dublin and Belfast.
- Helicopter landing available on the lawn.
Birkhill Castle, Fife, Scotland
A golfers paradise, 100 golf courses can be accessed within a 40 mile radius of the castle. 1 hours drive from Edinburgh & 20 minutes from St Andrews. The private beach is ideal for picnics during the summer with walks along the coastline, as well as the heated outdoor pool and tennis court being fun for the active family members.
- Sleeps up to 28 guests in 11 double or twin bedrooms & 4 single bedrooms plus a children’s nursery.
- Billiards room.
- Heated outdoor swimming pool.
- Tennis Court and Croquet Lawn.
- Both game and clay pigeon shooting can be arranged on the estate.
- Private Beach, boats trips to view puffins.
- Local Attractions include the many local golf courses.
- Edinburgh with shopping, museums & galleries.
- Kellie Castle.
- The charming East Neuk of Fife fishing villages with excellent fish restaurants.
Ballywalter Park, Newtownards, Northern Ireland
This Grade A* Listed mansion was built in the Italianate Palazzo style by the well known architect Sir Charles Lanyon who created a stunning house of exceptional architectural importance. During the summer there is so much to explore in the grounds of the house.
- Sleeps up to 24 guests in 12 luxurious bedrooms.
- Magnificent Grand Hall.
- The house is surrounded by 270 acres of pleasure grounds, fields, lake and woodland as part of the private 1,200 acre estate.
- 1 hour to Belfast by road.
Shipton Court, The Cotswolds, England
An original, English Jacobean manor house set in lovely gardens with two additional cottages which are also available to rent. Lots of fun in the summer with plenty of outdoor toys for the children to enjoy.
- Sleeps up to 11 guests in 5 double bedrooms and one single room.
- Drawing room with barrel vaulted ceiling and Steinway grand piano, first floor library and long dining hall.
- Seven working large fireplaces for log fires throughout the house providing a warm and cosy atmosphere.
- Two acres of south facing lawned gardens.
- One bedroom cottage and two bedroom staff cottage available if required.
- Outdoor ‘toys’ include: go-carts, children’s bikes, an electric 2-seat buggy, kites, croquet set, petanque & children’s summerhouse.
- 2 ¼ hours drive from London.
Knowsley Hall, Lancashire, England
Exceptional stately home set within a 2,500 acre private estate. Lots of outdoor activities to enjoy on the estate which are particularly fun during the summer. There is beautiful folly where guests can enjoy lunch during the summer with spectacular views over the lakes towards the house.
- Sleeps up to 34 guests in 17 exquisitely designed ensuite bedrooms.
- State dining room and drawing room.
- Award winning spa on the estate.
- Clay pigeon shooting, riding, watersports and cycling safari around the perimeter of Knowsley Safari are all available on the estate.
- Inside the house wine and gin tastings can be arranged as well as history talks, tour of the art collection (which would not be out of place in a museum or gallery).
- Yoga and pilates can be done in the ballroom and there is also an award wining spa located on the estate.
- 4 hours drive from London.
- 30 minutes drive to Liverpool Airport.
10 Castle Street, Dorset, England
A Grade 2* Listed Queen Anne building.
- Sleeps up to 22 in 11 individually designed ensuite bedrooms.
- Various dining rooms and dining spaces.
- Two drawing rooms.
- Beautiful gardens.
- In-house massages, yoga and personal trainer.
- A host of activities available.
- 2 1/2 hours drive from London.
Euston Hall, Suffolk, England
Historic Palladian Home with an award winning ‘Greenest Farming Business’ farm.
Country houses do not come more impressive, or with a richer history, than Suffolk’s Euston Hall. Set in deer-filled parkland and offering an authentic Lord of the Manor experience, Euston is owned by one of the country’s most prestigious families. The stately home has a glorious collection of royal portraits lining its walls among many other highlights. It is also incredibly warm and welcoming with feather-soft beds and fabulous gardens (designed by Capability Brown and William Kent) to spend summer days in. The natural swimming area is a dream for hot weather!
- Accommodation for 18 people in 8 double bedrooms and 2 single rooms.
- Drawing room, library, large & small dining room, billiard room and games room.
- Extensive private collection of Royal Stuart portraiture and noble equestrian art.
- Tennis court, croquet lawn, badminton.
- Natural swimming area with sauna river cabin, paddle boarding and canoeing.
- Traditional sporting estate activities.
- Situated on 300 acres of private grounds and parkland on an 11,000 acre farming estate.
- 2 hours drive from London, 40 minutes from Cambridge, 25 minutes from Newmarket Races.
- Superfast Broadband (300 meg).
Ashby Manor House, Northamptonshire, England
Guy Fawkes planned his infamous Gun Powder Plot at Ashby Manor House in 1605. Exceptionally well set up for families with young children with plenty to do outdoors in the summer such as swimming, tennis and boating on the lake.
- Sleeps up to 23 people in 10 bedrooms (but in spite of the size it is very comfortable and cosy for one family).
- Outdoor heated pool.
- Tennis court.
- A lake for boating on.
- Fabulous tree house for children.
- 1 hour 50 minutes from London by car.
- Beautiful grounds and gardens.
Thirlestane Castle, Scottish Borders, Scotland
5 beautiful, individually designed apartments to rent or have exclusive use of them all.
Thirlestane Castle has five uniquely decorated apartments which can be taken individually or as a whole – sleeping up to 18 people. Close enough to Edinburgh (just 30-minutes drive) to be accessible and yet a world apart – the castle is set in tranquil parklands on the banks of the River Leader. While all of the castle apartments are stunning, we love the grand proportions of the Earl & Countess – a three-bedroom suite fashioned from former private quarters and reached by the sweeping castle staircase. Vibrant colors are everywhere along with beautiful antiques – if there was ever a place for a glamorous dinner party it is here. Plenty to do outside during the summer.
- Sleeps up to 18 people in 5 stunningly designed and decorated apartments.
- Lots of outdoor activities can be arranged on the estate such as archery, croquet and clay pigeon shooting.
- Within easy reach of many of the famous golf courses including Muirfield, Dunbar, North Berwick and Gullane.
- Exceptional views, grounds and gardens.
- 50 minutes by car to Edinburgh.
Farleigh Wallop, Hampshire, England
Historic family home just one hour from London. Ideal during the summer with plenty to keep families with young children busy such as tennis, swimming, croquet on the lawn and exploring the pavilion and lake.
- Sleeps up to 21 people in 11 elegantly designed suites and bedrooms with 10 bathrooms.
- 4,000 acre private estate including a 3 acre walled garden, rose garden and glass houses.
- Tennis court, heated outdoor swimming pool, croquet lawn, cricket pitch with pavilion and lake.
- Movie theater and billiards room.
- One hour from London.
Friston Place, Sussex, England
One mile away from the sea.
Just a mile from the Sussex coast – and all that summer swimming – Friston Place is straight out of a Merchant Ivory film. A mellow red-brick manor house with nine bedrooms, it is quintessentially English with scent of flowers at every turn. Panelled rooms are filled with tapestries and huge windows flooded with light while the kitchen area sports a smart contemporary dining area. It’s all about the details at Friston Place, from the hand-painted antique wallpapers to the cut-crystal bottles on dressing tables. A very stylish choice for a great British seaside getaway.
- 9 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms.
- Heated swimming pool.
- Tennis court.
- 2 hours drive from London.
Ebrington Manor, The Cotswolds, England
Ebrington Manor is an ancient Grade II Listed manor house dating back to the 14th or 15th Century. Another gem for family groups during the summer with the wonderful spring fed lake for swimming and paddle boarding as well as bbq’s and sitting round the firepit down by the boathouse.
- Accommodation for up to 16 people in 8 bedrooms with ensuite bath/shower rooms.
- Wonderful oak panelled hall, dining room (seats 16), drawing room and sitting room/tv room.
- Acres of parkland to explore along with the Rose Garden and the Tortoise Garden.
- A natural spring fed lake for swimming and paddleboarding with a Cotswolds stone boathouse.
- Large Cotswold stone South African style Boma (cross between a firepit and BBQ) down by the boathouse.
- Croquet, football and pentanque.
- Pretty Cotswold villages with antique shops, gastro pubs and farm shops nearby.
- Fabulous walks through the rolling countryside.
- 2 ½ hours drive to central London.
Temple Guiting Manor, The Cotswolds, England
A newly renovated Grade 1 Listed, 15th Century manor house steeped in English history. Great fun in the summer with a tennis court for those who are keen and beautiful walled gardens and a lake to explore.
- Sleeps up to 12 people in 5 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms.
- Billiard table, dovecote hot tub and secret cinema.
- Tennis court, walled gardens and boating lake (gated).
- 2 1/4 hours to London.
Silverholme Manor, The Lake District, England
The only carbon-neutral Georgian manor house in the country.
Step into the land of Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth at the romantic Silverholme Manor. Boasting private access to Lake Windermere, this fully carbon-neutral Georgian country house is very special. Sleeping up to 18 people in luxurious en-suite bedrooms, this is the perfect summer holiday spot. Staycations have never been more in vogue and Silverholme Manor has everything needed. The 5,000 acre estate has masses of activities available for young and old alike – all the joys and scenery of the Lake District are at your fingertips at this special period retreat.
- Sleeps 18 in luxury ensuite bedrooms with fabulous views.
- 5,000 acres of private woodland, forest and lake to enjoy.
- A host of activities can be arranged on the estate for guests.
- 1 1/2 hours drive from Carlisle.
Auchterarder House, Perthshire, Scotland
One of the most impressive family homes in Scotland. A wonderful spot during the summer with spectacular views over the wee lochan and heavenly spots to sit outside and enjoy the views.
- Sleeps 20 people in 10 double ensuite bedrooms including one ground floor bedroom with fully disabled bathroom.
- Cinema room, gym, sauna, shoot room, conservatory & billiard room.
- 20 acres of stunning grounds and gardens with a small lochan.
- 1 hours drive to both Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Dunskey Castle, Portpatrick, Scotland
Situated on the idyllic west coast with beautiful private beaches, stunning gardens and woods, waterfalls, lochs and a glen that stretches for miles, there can’t be a more magical place to spend time during the summer.
- Sleeps up to 46 people in 23 individually designed bedrooms with 18 bathrooms, but equally cosy for a smaller family group.
- Classically trained chef and sous chef.
- Home grown game, herbs, vegetables and locally caught fish and seafood.
- Various local golf courses nearby.
- Kayaking, seal watching, fishing and picnicking.
- 2 hours drive from Glasgow.
Ballinlough Castle, County Westmeath, Ireland
One of Ireland’s finest 17th century castles. Plenty of grounds to explore during the summer with the Ballinlough Castle Golf Course on the doorstep.
- Sleeps 16 guests in 2 master suites (double, en-suite, dressing-room) and 1 double en-suite bedroom with a further 5 double rooms sharing 3 bathrooms.
- Extensive private gardens.
- Private stocked trout lough.
- Ballinlough Castle Golf Club.
- River Boyne for salmon fishing.
- 1 ½ hours from Belfast, 1 hour from Dublin.